Re: mobileOK validation logic - jar file?

Welcome Yeliz and team to the mobileOK Checker effort!

Uploading a file (and optionally indicating the HTTP headers with which
it would be served and then passing the tests on it) will be a great
enhancement to the Checker.

Absolutely +1 to all the (1., 2. and 3.) issues suggested by François.
The upload file scenario is not a "real world" one so it would not be
wise to say this is mobileOK or not.

Looking forward to your proposals and later implementation.

Best regards,

Nacho Marín

El mié, 04-02-2009 a las 21:41 +0100, Francois Daoust escribió:
> Yes. Come and join the list!
>
> I need to check how you could get write access to the CVS project. I'll
> get back to you as soon as I know.
>
> I do not think a branch is really needed for the time being. There is no
> active development on the mobileOK Checker right now apart from bug
> fixing. The branch could be created afterwards if needed (I tagged the
> library as v1-0-03 today, so we'd have an easy way to rollback or branch
> if that's truly needed). I guess it also depends on the expected timeline.
>
> I would suggest you use this mailing-list as well to discuss
> implementations details if that's OK with you, so that other involved in
> the Checker can chime in and/or help if interested. You can subscribe to
> the list through the "subscribe to the list" link in:
>   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-mobileok-checker/
>
> I personally think the feature is useful, in particular because authors
> usually start to write a page locally before they publish it on the Web,
> and could then start checking the page at this stage.
>
> However, as noted previously, some (and actually that's not only one or
> two) tests only apply to content delivered over HTTP. Other may apply
> only partially to non-HTTP content (PAGE_SIZE_LIMIT and
> EXTERNAL_RESOURCES for instance would not be able to count the size and
> number of potential HTTP redirects since there's no HTTP redirects in
> the file scheme).
>
> IMO, that means:
>   1. that the Checker must never return a "you are mobileOK" message
> when run on a file. It would not be true. The message can be at best
> "all the mobileOK tests I could run on the file passed".
>   2. we need to be able to identify this situation in the moki schema.
>   3. we need to be able to identify subtests that cannot be run in part
> or completely in this situation e.g. by adding a new attribute to
> <result> elements such as run="[impossible,partial,complete]".
>
> Francois.
>

> Abel Rionda wrote:
> > Hi Yeliz,
> >
> > You and your colleagues are very welcome to extend the checker. Personally, I don't see any problem as long as you are comfortable with the W3C License.
> > Perhaps we should set up a new branch from the exiting trunk to address this development. Any thoughts on this from the rest of the task force members?
> >
> > Best Regards,
> > Abel

Ignacio Marín Prendes
Head of Unit of Device Independence and Mobility
R&D Department
Fundación CTIC (http://www.fundacionctic.org)
Edificio Centros Tecnológicos
Parque Científico y Tecnológico de Gijón
Cabueñes (Gijón) - 33203
Asturias, Spain
Phone:  +34 984 29 12 12
Mobile: +34 657 30 59 55