Re: Validation against XHTML MP 1.2 not done by the checker

Thanks Abel,

Abel Rionda wrote:
> Hi Francois,
>
> It is fixed now (We attach a pair of files because strangely we don't
> have access to the CVS... "connection refused by the server").

Well, it seems to be fixed, I saw you committed the changes ;-)

While re-thinking about it, I realized that, whilst we need to validate
against both DTDs, the detailed report the checker should return should
be against one and only DTD. mobileOK doesn't prescribe the DTD to use
(it only prescribes the fact that a FAIL is returned).

I felt it made more sense to always return errors against the XHTML
Basic 1.1 DTD because:
  1. we don't validate the page against XHTML MP 1.2 when it is valid
against XHTML Basic 1.1
  2. apart from the "start" attribute on the "ol" element (and maybe one
or two additional attributes?), XHTML Basic 1.1 is a superset of XHTML
MP 1.2.

I updated the code consequently.

I also included a note in HTTPXHTMLResource.java to point out that
exceptions thrown by the SAX parser are ignored for the moment. I don't
know when such exceptions are thrown, provided they are. But ignoring
such exceptions means that the checker will continue its execution as
though the page was fully validated (and will only return markup errors
encountered when the exception was thrown).

> Regarding a possible call today, we suggest cancelling it because we
> haven't had too much time to work on the last bugs reported by you [1].
> Meanwhile we can use the mailing list.

OK.

As you probably noticed, I spent some time digging up in the code to
debug it.
There remains bugs, but no "blocking" bugs AFAICT (at least for the time
being).

I still haven't updated the online checker, but should do so in a near
future. I keep you updated.

Francois.