Re: [Fwd: Questions on Checker]

Jo Rabin wrote:
> Well, we make a carve out for border (and padding and margin) on
> absolute measures and you can argue that the height (thickness) of an hr
> is no different to the thickness of a border. What we seem to be saying
> is that an empty div with border: 1px 0 0 0 is OK, whereas achieving
> pretty much the same effect with hr is not?

OK.

I'm not sure I understand the pros and cons behind the MEASURES best
practice that led to the exception for borders, margins and padding, but
suppose there was some good reason.

I would have said that an empty div with border: 1px 0 0 0 is actually a
side effect of the exception-to-the-rule in MEASURES: not reported as
incorrect, but not completely OK in terms of the intent of the best
practice.

I still don't understand why we would need to make the change only for
hr elements. You may define a:
   p { height: 100px }
... and can probably achieve a very similar effect using margin

[Plus this looks like a more substantive change than the ones we've
introduced so far]

Francois.