Re: STYLE_SHEETS_USE test

Hi Abel

We jumped through a couple of hoops of fire around this subject possibly
during LC-1 or LC-2 (the mobileOK Jurassic Period, perhaps). As far as I
can recall the question was around exactly what is meant by "valid
CSS1". This is particularly fraught since CSS is by design open-ended so
outside of the syntax requiring certain combinations of valid tokens and
punctuation, almost Anything Goes [1].

Consequently, we have the definition of valid CSS under 2.4.8:

     A resource is considered a valid CSS resource if it conforms to the
grammar defined in [CSS], Appendix B (see note below), except that
@media at-rules, which are not part of the grammar, are allowed and are
not considered invalid. The presence of at-rules, properties or values
or combinations of properties and values that are not specified in [CSS]
does not constitute a validity failure for CSS. See 3.21
STYLE_SHEETS_USE for treatment of such values. In addition, the @media
at-rule and the presentation media list for the @import at-rule are
taken into account when evaluating CSS.

[I've just  spotted that the clause "see note below" is a dangling
reference and needs to be removed.]

So I think what is happening here is that the checker CSS Validation
that is being carried out is actually stricter than that implied by
CONTENT_FORMAT_SUPPORT and is potentially mis-reporting inappropriate
combinations of properties and values as failures under that heading.
They should in fact be reported under STYLE_SHEETS_USE.

Note particularly that it is not invalid to use properties that are not
known in CSS1, e.g.

klingon {foo: bar;
     distance: 3light-years;
}

is valid, though it contains properties values and units that are not
defined in CSS1.

Hence the warns rather than the failures in STYLE_SHEETS_USE.

Jo

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anything_Goes_%28song%29