Re: mobileOK test misleading

Le jeudi 14 août 2008 à 12:34 +0100, Richard Ishida a écrit :
> I just tried a couple of my pages out with the mobileOK checker, and concerned about the expectations that I think are wrongly set for many people who might use the tool.  The lead-in sentence at http://www.w3.org/Mobile/ says "Is your site mobileOK?"  That suggests that you can check whether your XHTML 1.0 or HTML pages served as text/html will work well on a mobile device.  If you think that, the report you get back initially  causes some confusion (and I'm hoping not more than that, ie. doesn't lead people to do things like remove the lang attribute from their <html> tag), and also annoyance when you realize that you've been wasting your time, since this wasn't meant to test general pages at all, but rather pages served specifically as XHTML Basic 1.1.
> [...]

FWIW, I've followed up with Richard, to point out :
 * what is dependent of the checker and what is defined by the spec
 * the (hopefully constructive) information brought by the checker
independently of whether a given page conforms or not
 * the fact that XHTML Basic 1.1 is not required for conforming to
mobileOK Basic, and the lang attribute being faulted coming from the
XHTML WG decisions on the design of the DTDs (which affect other
versions of XHTML as well)

Dom