Re: Code updates

Expanding to the list...

On 5/21/07, Jo Rabin <jrabin@mtld.mobi> wrote:
> I guess it might be helpful for contributors if there were some kind of
> style rules. Is there anything to hand that can be used as a starting
> point?

Sun's standard coding guidelines are as good as anything:
http://java.sun.com/docs/codeconv/html/CodeConvTOC.doc.html  I am not
so worried about this since my IDE will for example reformat
everything automatically. Stay consistent with what's in the rest of
the file. We can take a pass at reformatting and optimizing at the
end. Roughly sticking to these guidelines will faciliate working
together though.

I have a personal fetish for using "final" everywhere that it's
applicable, and for always using the @Override annotation. I will
spare you the @NotNull and @Nullable annotations. Things like that,
anything that aids static analysis. I also run FindBugs and IntelliJ's
static analysis regularly.

> I'm thinking e.g. of temp files and not using them because of it being a
> server implementation, thread safety ...

... so there are about 400 things along these lines to mention. Unused
variables? returning a modifiable collection? Serializable? etc. Let's
tackle these as they come up.

I am happy to hear issues with what I've put into CVS already. :)

> And finally ... we're having a call tomorrow, right? So should we all
> pitch in with agenda ideas?

Call tomorrow, yes. Our one and only topic is progress on the
reference implementation. I will have a few points to review, but, am
mostly relying on you guys for feedback and points of discussion. Hey,
if it runs short, fine, but let's use the time we have to coordinate
and solve common problems so we can make progress in the rest of the
week.

Sean