Re: Issue 1489 - Does Dragging blur platofrm and author considerations? https://github.com/w3c/wcag/issues/1489

Hi all,

after today's brief discussion in the MATF call of Mike's Github issue
#1489 and Sukriti's draft response, I had another read through the issue
and see a few additional points.

Mike hypothetizes a situation "where every touch-OS provides affordances
for simple-touch drag and drop, and yet we continue to insist author's
solve this."
Going ill-prepared into our discussion, I actually mixed up
AssistiveTouch with pass-through gestures, so what I said about double
tap and hold was nonsense.

So to repent, I had a go at iOS Assistive Touch. The functionality
offered there is quite complex, and I admit that I am not sure that what
I tried was meaningful. I called up, as example page,
https://loryjs.github.io/lory/ which has sliders that you can drag and
swipe. I used the first, SINGLE ELEMENT DOT NAVIGATION, ignoring the
static arrows that are provided here. Then I went to Accessibility >
AssistiveTouch and assigned the custom action for single tap to "Hold
and Drag", assuming this would allow me to tap once (to set, as it were,
the anchor of the movement) and then tap again (to indicate the location
where the anchor should go). I am not entirely sure this is the way to
do it, not even after studying https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202658
(and would imagine evaluating the options provided in AsssistiveTouch
would not be easy for *anyone* needing single tap activation). Whatever,
things did happen - I could, somewhat erratically, use single tap to
move the slider, but had a hard time reversing direction. Once it is on,
the behaviour is pretty difficult to predict (you can also see this when
selecting text).

To conclude, it seems that we cannot simply assume that AssistiveTouch
"provides affordances for simple-touch drag and drop". To configure it
to purpose, understand / train yourself in how it works, and then carry
out an action suported by it seems an undue burden when all you want to
do is occasionally manage to drag-and-drop when such a control happens
to be offered without single-activation equivalent.

For image sliders as well as control sliders, providing arrows for
alternative single tap navigation (or for control sliders, allowing
activation of the groove) is an established and widespread practice and
not difficult to implement. For things like Kanban boards we have seen
mainstream implementations where users can single-tap items to select
and then move them via a dropdown menu. Single touch implementations
exist also for list sorting that supports dragging.

I think Mike's second related logic puzzle (how can a user use a mobile
device anyway other than by using gestures such as swiping/dragging) has
been answered well by Sukriti. Users can use voice input, attached
keyboards, or even define custom actions in AssistiveTouch for those
generic actions they need all the time (rather than use it to tackle the
occasional drag-n-drop interface). So in my view, the assumption in
scenario 2 "The user is already able to operate the OS with the
accommodations" seems quite unrealistic.

Detlev

PS: maybe this should have gone into GitHub but I leave it to Sukriti to
phrase a proposed WG answer...

--
Detlev Fischer
DIAS GmbH

Mobil +49 (0)157 57 57 57 45

http://www.dias.de
Beratung, Tests und Schulungen für barrierefreie Websites