RE: Add Dragging SC to WCAG 2.2 draft

Does this more generic definition now cover any kind of swipe gestures as well (pointer down on some area, move while keeping it down, pointer up to achieve a function)?

Also, I was initially (mis)reading “target” as meaning a target element, rather than an area of the screen. Maybe just “engages with an element”?

From: Alastair Campbell <acampbell@nomensa.com>
Sent: 06 May 2020 14:26
To: Mobile a11y tf (public-mobile-a11y-tf@w3.org) <public-mobile-a11y-tf@w3.org>
Cc: Wilco Fiers <wilco.fiers@deque.com>
Subject: FW: Add Dragging SC to WCAG 2.2 draft

Hi MAFT,

I think Wilco might have a point here, which is that: Some dragging actions do not ‘move’ an element around as such, therefore the ‘dragging movement’ definition won’t apply to some dragging movements.

The video shows a thing where you drag from a starting point to create an arrow, but there isn’t an element to drag around.

The current definition is:
A dragging movement is an operation where the pointer engages with a <a>target</a> on the down event and the target follows the pointer until the up event without requiring movement in a specific direction at the start of the movement. The target could be, for example, a list item, a text element, or an image.

Wilco is also pulling up the term ‘target’ which is defined as an area of the screen. I’m not sure this one is really an issue, but if there is a better term we could use (or avoid it), that’s worth a try.

I was thinking of something like:
“an operation where the pointer engages with a <a>target</a> on the down event and, without requiring a specific starting direction, is moved to achieve a specific function. The function could be, for example, to move a list item, resize an image, or measuring a distance on a map.”

It is much more generic now, does anyone see any issues with this? Any other proposals?

-Alastair