Re: Pointer target spacing issues

On 24/08/2020 03:53, Sukriti Chadha wrote:
> For mobile devices, it seems like a miss even for AA if users with
> mobility or vision limitations aren't able to identify or reasonably tap
> an element due to small size. It doesn't have to be 44 px, but something
> reasonable that allows for design choices.

The "something reasonable" part is where the problem comes in. WCAG
needs definitive/hard values in order to be unambiguously testable. So
one way or another you need to decide on a particular size, and
essentially you're then outlawing any targets that are smaller than
that. There's not much nuance that you can give with WCAG SCs. For this
reason the target size SC was pegged at AAA, as it will affect the
layout/structure of a huge number of sites out there and make them
non-compliant overnight.

> While most designers won't make the choice to have unreasonably small
> tap targets, it seems the larger community is concerned and we might
> want to gather more opinions in the group to see if setting a floor is
> an option for AA.
>
> The other option could be - like text resizing, if there is a mechanism
> to magnify tap targets (eg. Pinch and zoom), we don't need to specify a
> certain pixel minimum. I'll wait to respond or put in a PR until more
> input from you and the group. Thank you.

For web content, there is pinch/zoom (unless a site tries to willfully
suppress it, which would then fail the resize text SC). For native
content, there's no concept of pinch/zoom as such without reliance on OS
features like screen magnification - this has been a known sticking
point when trying to apply WCAG to non-web/native content.

https://www.splintered.co.uk/ | https://github.com/patrickhlauke
https://flickr.com/photos/redux/ | https://www.deviantart.com/redux