Re: MATF Minutes 25 April 2019 - notes on instructions for custom gestures

Hi,

I read the minutes (still regretting I missed the MATF telco - I was
working throguh AG issues at the time and forgot to check the time / set
an alarm).

Just some thoughts on "Instructions are provided when content requires
custom gestures or motion actuation" - sticking with the web mail
swipe-to-reveal-options case brought up by Jake.

The context is that 2.5.1 and 2.5.4 already mandate alternatives for
such custom gestures so if swiping is the *only* way to reveal
functionality, the screen would fail (arguably it would not fail if file
/ delete / forward etc. are available once you select a single message).

So the core of the user problem seems to be that actions that are hard
to undo are triggered inadvertently. (Note there was a COGA Undo SC for
2.1 whch did not make it at the time.) 2.5.2 Pointer Cancellation >
abort or undo should cover (most of) this - if the user does not know
which message he/she deleted accidentally and there is no easy option to
undo (such as an accessible popover giving that option), this would
arguably fail 2.5.2.

The question remains what valid way to instruct users about the
functionality would be appropriate. An initial primer when downloading /
first launching the app might help some, annoy others, and be of not
much help to people with memory issues (or simply to anyone who intently
or accidentally dismisses any start-up content delaying first use of an
app - I would count myself a member of that group).

A repeat instruction on *every* use (SR accessible, visible) seems quite
obnoxious for what is a utility app that is used daily, many times.

Visual indications via icons migh do the trick for sighted users but the
more innocuous they are, the more likely they are to be ignored in which
case they will not prevent accidental input errors. They would arguably
need to be focusable / have a meaningful accName for non-visual users,
adding many extra focus stops and probably annoying the heck out of
repeat users. OK, there may be options to hide instructions but who
likes delving into your apps settings? How many will do that? There may
be options to disable app-side motion actuation and complex swipe
gestures altogether, and these would likely be the preferred by users
prone to accidentally performing gestures in a way that leads to
unintended results.

So this would point to a once-shown-after-first-launch type of message
saying something like "you can use swipe on messages to reveal options
OR disable this in the app settings". Apart from that, 2.5.1 and 2.5.2
should take care that there are alternative ways for activating stuff
and undoing accidental things happening after down-event (start of
swiping). Having explicit / visible and SR-accessible instructions
around each time you use an app seems to me a bit of a non-starter.

Best,
Detlev

Am 25.04.2019 um 18:16 schrieb Kim Patch:
> *MATF Minutes 25 April 2019 link:
> https://www.w3.org/2019/04/25-mobile-a11y-minutes.html
>
> * *Full text of minutes: *
>

>   Mobile Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

>     Attendees
>
> Present
>     Kim_Patch, MarcJohlic, Kathy, Jennifer, Jake, JakeAbma
> Regrets
>
> Chair
>     SV_MEETING_CHAIR
> Scribe
>     Kim_Patch
>

>     Contents
>
>   * Topics
>     <https://www.w3.org/2019/04/25-mobile-a11y-minutes.html#agenda>
>      1. indication of gestures
>         <https://www.w3.org/2019/04/25-mobile-a11y-minutes.html#item01>
>   * Summary of Action Items
>     <https://www.w3.org/2019/04/25-mobile-a11y-minutes.html#ActionSummary>
>
>   * Summary of Resolutions
>     <https://www.w3.org/2019/04/25-mobile-a11y-minutes.html#ResolutionSummary>

> Trackbot, start meeting
>
> <trackbot> Meeting: Mobile Accessibility Task Force Teleconference
>
> <trackbot> Date: 25 April 2019
>
> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wRAViPfAJ4Ytqc71tGZp6gU07HNd2QQaNgtJsog-D90/edit#gid=124994642
>
> <Kathy>
> https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Q9md2AvmeTgvsT9GB62BsGvCaalDGtE6
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ouVFq4w-i0rchNHtTAG_JoRwHfYm9mN2MkxFBct1JSI/edit#heading=h.vpayye3hz4fm
>

>       indication of gestures
>
> Jake: might have some overlap with other success criteria
> ... operated by a user interface component the alternative ways – that
> part
>
> Kathy: might need to be reworked my recollection – purpose of this one
> when we had custom gestures or functionality available through motion
> actuation if we had done some custom thing that wasn't standard
> gestures or standard motion actuation command – if we did custom ones
> users are informed of these instructions were available on how to use
> them so that they could potentially alert the end-user
> ... I think that was the primary purpose. I think the second half was
> just saying how it could be done. to prevent accidental actuation. The
> fact that you can operate the user interface in alternative ways is
> part of other success criteria
>
> Jake: when you open an application and you swipe halfway it reveals
> options but if you swipe all the way in I think it's Gmail they will
> be archived – swipe a little bit too much deleted or archived and you
> can never get them back. But also need to be available in different
> ways because not everyone can swipe. So it gets multiple ones at once.
>
> Kathy: I agree I think it needs to be narrowed down to inform the user
> when there can be gestures or motion actuation so the users are
> informed of that. There are standard gestures motion actuation that
> are part of the device. Users will know what the standard ones are.
> [...]

Detlev Fischer
Testkreis
Werderstr. 34, 20144 Hamburg

Mobil +49 (0)157 57 57 57 45

http://www.testkreis.de
Beratung, Tests und Schulungen fόr barrierefreie Websites