Re: Revision of Understanding text of 2.5.2 Pointer Cancellation

Hi Detlev,

Great – thanks. You did this the right way – revisions need to be made
in the branch referenced in the chart (you can see all the old versions
in history).
(https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/mobile-a11y-tf/wiki/WCAG_2.1_Understanding_and_Techniques_Development)

Cheers,
Kim

On 2/21/2018 9:55 AM, Detlev Fischer (TK) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have worked on the Understanding text of SC 2.5.2 Pointer
> Cancellation (I should have created a new branch, I forgot, sorry - I
> hope the old version can be restored if someone prefers it. I do
> believe however that the new version is much clearer and ties in
> better with the wording od the SC itself.)
>
> This is it:
>
> https://rawgit.com/w3c/wcag21/pointer-cancellation/understanding/21/pointer-cancellation.html
>

> Comments:
>
> 1. I do not understand how the stated third benefit relates to Pointer
> Cancellation:
>
> "Individuals who are unable to detect changes of context are less
> likely to become disoriented while navigating a site."
>
> Can whoever put it in explain what is meant?
>
> For now I left it in, but I would suggest to take it out.
>

> 2. I do not think the following Failure fits to Pointer Cancellation:
>
> "Actions are only available through long press or 3D touch"
>
> It might have been a failure of 2.5.1 Pointer Gestures before we
> included long press and double tap etc. in "single pointer". As such,
> it says nothing about the ability to revert the action. I left it in,
> but I would suggest to take it out.
>
> 3. I thought of pencilling in drag-and-drop related Sufficient
> Technique (roughly speaking, "Ensuring that releasing drag-and-drop
> targets outside drop areas reverses the interaction") but I am not
> sure whetheer that is a good idea. (It raises the question if the
> existience of areas that are NOT drop targets would be required in
> such a Technique - the screen may just be a big Kanban board with no
> other space to release targets). Would the Technique be met if the
> target can be dropped where it was picked up, and nothing happens?
> Other elements might have moved position (closed the gap) during
> dragging as in
> https://react-beautiful-dnd.netlify.com/?selectedKind=single%20vertical%20list&selectedStory=basic&full=0&down=1&left=1&panelRight=0&downPanel=storybook%2Factions%2Factions-panel
> ...so would users still know where to drop the target to revert the
> action?)
>
> Another concern is that DnD stuff seems tied up with providing
> keyboard-accessible alternatives. If this is not covered in a
> Technique, would authors see this as invitation to implement all sorts
> of not keyboard accessible DnD implementations? Is a simple reference
> like "Do make sure you also meet 2.1.1" sufficient?
>
> Detlev

Kimberly Patch
President
Redstart Systems