RE: Conforming alternative for mobile should not be Desktop

Ø  [Jason] Actually, no, the third clause is meant to address the case in which there is no (or inadequate) assistive technology support or some other lack of technology support for a particular user agent or device which makes it impossible to supply a conforming version customized for that user agent/device.

As long as there is an alternative that is fine – but we need to be clear that there still must be an alternative.  I agree that there will be widgets that can’t be made accessible on all devices and that we can’t force people to use the same widget across different views.

Jonathan

From: White, Jason J [mailto:jjwhite@ets.org]
Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2016 2:50 PM
To: David MacDonald
Cc: Alastair Campbell; WCAG; public-mobile-a11y-tf@w3.org
Subject: RE: Conforming alternative for mobile should not be Desktop

From: David MacDonald [mailto:david100@sympatico.ca]
Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2016 1:28 PM
That captures it, more eloquently than I, except I think you might mean on item 3 "There is an Accessibility Supported way ..." rather than "there is no Accessibility way..."
[Jason] Actually, no, the third clause is meant to address the case in which there is no (or inadequate) assistive technology support or some other lack of technology support for a particular user agent or device which makes it impossible to supply a conforming version customized for that user agent/device. Think of a platform/device type which is new enough to have no (or very little) assistive technology. Without the third clause, a customized version/UI component couldn’t be written for that platform/device, even if it’s impossible to make it conform.

Does this expalantion help?

Regards,

Jason.

Thank you for your compliance.