Re: Conforming alternative for mobile should not be Desktop

If every breakpoint delivered from the same URL is has to meet WCAG in
order for the page to conform, then I would be very happy... and the issue
becomes much less pressing...

I think we have to dig into the documents and tap other veterans of WCAG
who remember our discussions and maybe crawl the archives to ensure this
... I currently don't see anything in the SCs or Conformance claims that
says every breakpoint of a web page (or every version of the same URL) has
to conform... But it was not really an issue back in the day... now it
is... and I would like to formalize our position to ensure this is clear...

====I wrote to Loretta, who was an editor on WCAG 2 who's opinion I greatly
value with the following scenario====

Company X has a responsive web site. It has 2 break points based on
viewport size. A user on a mobile device gets the same site as as the
desktop, except it has a Hamburger menu icon instead of the mega menu.

The mega menu conforms to WCAG, the Hamburger menu does not. There is no
link to the desktop version. Does this page conform to WCAG?

Some feel that it currently passes because there is one accessibility
supported solution. Others think that it does not pass because the user on
the mobile device doesn't have a choice about which view they get, (unless
there is an accessible link to the desktop -alternative conforming-
version.)

What are your thoughts? The question is important for decisions in 2.1

=====

**Loretta's response:**

Just a quick response because I'm on vacation and can't investigate the
historical record.

We had a lot if relevant discussion when trying to define web page (or all
the alternate terms we were considering). Part of the discussion was about
web apps, which dynamically change what is delivered from the same URI. As
I recall, we concluded that any version of the page that could be delivered
from that URI had to conform in order to claim that the URI conformed.

I think this generalizes to saying that all the break points must conform
to claim that the URI conforms.

But this is just my recollection. Sorry I can't point to a specific
discussion.

========

Cheers,
David MacDonald