Re: Principle 4 - Robust (was Re: Help needed with numbering success criteria for WCAG 2.1)

On 27/06/2016 20:28, ALAN SMITH wrote:
> Patrick,
>

> I don’t quite understand the difference between what you say:
>

>            “It's not about how a site/app reacts when
> orientation/viewport is changed, but rather that
>
>            it actually works in those orientations/changes.”
>

> So, if a site works in landscape but is rotated to portrait and it now
> introduces a different menu structure let’s say with hamburger menus but
> they add more menu options in portrait than they had in landscape.
>

> Is this “how it works” or “if it works”.

Giving a concrete example, which is what started the whole thing off: in
native apps, as well as in modern browsers (using CSS, progressive web
app manifest, etc) you can explicitly say that a site/app only works in
portrait or landscape mode. Even if the device is tilted, the view won't
change (and everything will simply stay as it is, without adjusting to
the new roration). But critically, say a user relies on having their
device always in landscape mode - it's fixed like that to their
wheelchair, for instance - and they fire up an app / web app / website
that declares to only work in portrait mode...then they're snookered and
can't use it. Sure, they can (if they're able to) tilt their head 90
degrees, but that's not really the idea of a "robust" site/app.

Beyond that there could be scenarios where even if the site does not
actively lock the aspect ratio, it simply displays a "please rotate your
device" on screen when the device is in the "wrong" orientation.

Currently, Mobile TF proposed a new SC under Principle 3 -
Understandable - https://github.com/w3c/Mobile-A11y-Extension/issues/2
but to me that's not the correct place for it. I would see it as a
measure of "robustness" that a site/app works in different viewport
sizes/orientations, but could also be persuaded at a stretch that this
could fall under Principle 1 - Perceivable.