Re: Mobile A11y Task Force Agenda Thursday, June 16

On 15/06/2016 23:53, Kim Patch wrote:
>     1. Continue with discussion: Discussion page for force touch,
>     requiring touch:
>     https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/mobile-a11y-tf/wiki/Discussion:_Touch_and_Force_Touch

If I may, I'd like to draw attention to a (admittedly stream of
consciousness) few thoughts on the broader idea of moving away from
"device manipulation" and "force/pressure" and more towards a unified
single "additional input capabilities" SC

https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/mobile-a11y-tf/wiki/Discussion:_Touch_and_Force_Touch#Further_thoughts_from_Patrick

I fear that otherwise we'll end up with having to keep chasing our tail
as new variants/capabilities arise.

>     2. Comments from WCAG

https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/66524/2016-0509/results and specifically
with regards to Alastair Campbell's note on 2.5.4 about having two
separate size requirements: there ARE ways to identify if a user is
currently using touch or mouse; there are also other possible mechanisms
that a site/app can provide to allow a user to explicitly switch between
a "touch-friendly" and a "mouse-friendly" interface - Office 2013 does
this, for instance, with an explicit "Optimize spacing between commands"
dropdown where users can switch (see
https://patrickhlauke.github.io/getting-touchy-presentation/#134)

There may also be situations (such as embedded systems/standalone
devices) where a developer CAN know for sure that users will only ever
interact using a fine precision pointer like a mouse or
trackball...here, it would not make sense to force them to adopt a large
44x44px hit target that helps with coarse touch input.

Also note previous responses to comments I made
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/2016AprJun/0644.html