Re: FYI: Keeping your Github fork synchronized with the main branch

WOW!!  It worked!!  I figured there had to be some way to do this from
GitHub, but like all things git, it wasn't very clear (at least to commoner
like myself)  :)

I'm going to expand slightly on Eric's instructions based on what I
noticed..  please feel free to correct any of this if I get something wrong.

The goal is to sync your fork with any changes that have been made to the
main repository:

1)  I found it was easiest to start from main repository page - ex:
https://github.com/w3c/Mobile-A11y-TF-Note

2)  Like Eric said - Use the compare interface - the green button, top-left
or just add /compare to the end of your URL in the address bar  ex:
https://github.com/w3c/Mobile-A11y-TF-Note/compare

3)  In the compare interface, Click the "compare across forks" link

4)  Set the "base fork" to your fork (ex: marcjohlic/Mobile-A11y-TF-Note  )
 and the "head fork" to the main repository (ex:  w3c:/Mobile-A11y-TF-Note)

It looks like this whole process can be done via URL by adding [branch
name]...[main repo:branch name] after the /compare/

In this case, "gh-pages" is the branch name, so
/compare/gh-pages...w3c:gh-pages

so in my case the full URL was:
https://github.com/marcjohlic/Mobile-A11y-TF-Note
*/compare/gh-pages...w3c:gh-pages*

>From there it will tell you if there are any changes in the main repository
that can be Merged into your fork.  If there are, you can do a Pull request
that will "pull" those changes into your fork.

I'll have to wait until the next time I can sync to get the Merge / Pull
request steps down.  I was pretty much stumbling through this so I don't
exactly remember that part.  I recall it was pretty straight-forward though
- just clicking on "pull request" and then accepting the merge into my fork.

I know it's all still quite convoluted, but hopefully makes it slightly
easier.