RE: BBC-WCAG2/UAAG2 comparison

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for the reply. I have updated the file and re-attached. A few comments labelled JR:

> Repeated links to the same resource must be contained within the same link
> [jda] This relates to H2: Combining adjacent image and text links for the same
> resource

JR: H2: http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-TECHS/H2
I agree that this is a good thing for usability, but I don't think there is a WCAG2 SC that requires it.

> Labels must be placed close to the controls, and be laid out appropriately
> [jda] This relates to understanding SC 3.3.2 Benefits " Field labels located in
> close proximity to the associated field assist users of screen magnifiers
> because the field and label are more likely to visible within the magnified
> area of the page."

JR: Added.

> Where zoom is supported on the platform it must not be suppressed.  You
> indicated this as indirectly related.
> [jda] I feel this is directly related to SC 1.4.4 not just indirectly -- that was the
> intention when we wrote the BBC standards.

JR:  1.4.4 Resize text: Except for captions and images of text, text can be resized without assistive technology up to 200 percent without loss of content or functionality.
- so an app could conceivably suppress platform zoom, but provide its own zoom.

> Standard operating system alerts must be used where available [jda] This
> may relate to SCR18: Providing client-side validation and alert

JR: It could, but nothing is said about platform alerts as the mechanism. Of course web content doesn't have direct access to operating system mechanism, which is why I put in the relevant UAAG2 SC.

> Audio must not play automatically unless the user is made aware this is
> happening or a pause/stop button is provided @Issue: WCAG2 addresses
> control, but not auto-play:
> [jda] I believe these are saying the same thing -- some of the WCAG
> techniques for Silverlight and Flash talk about turning off auto play.

JR: The techniques do talk about it, I just meant that WCAG doesn't require it as the BBC doc does. Again, this is why I added a UAAG2 SC...UAAG2 explicitly covers audio players.

Cheers,
Jan