RE: ACTION-18: Look at mwbp re: text resize (Mobile Accessibility Task Force)

Hi Everyone,

I had an action to look into whether there were areas within MWBP that may cover text resizing. For ease of understanding, this response is ONLY related to Mobile web and not native web applications (as they generally tend to be fixed screen widths, at least on iOS anyway). I see the native device features provided within the OS as the only means to zoom content to meet this requirement on Native. A separate discussion I suspect as this would involve delving into UAAG 2.0, (http://www.w3.org/TR/UAAG20/#gl-viewport-orient specifically 1.8.5; 1.8.6 and 1.8.7.)

So...this was specifically relating to WCAG 2.0 1.4.4 success Criteria for Resizing text up to 200%. It also relates to a failure technique which we talked about when fixed containers were resized causing an article or content to be obscured from sight. ' http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20140408/F69 ' This failure technique was the one thing that got me started as we wanted to develop techniques for Mobile Web, however there is already a technique found here: http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20140408/G179.html which relates to text resizes and containers. The only thing missing is actual examples of good and bad practise in relation to mobile web.

I looked at a few of the guidelines and techniques specifically relating to the following areas:

5.4.8 of MWBP 1.0 http://www.w3.org/TR/mobile-bp/#me which relates to 'Measures', which was the closest I could find relating to text resizing. However this specifically talks about 'Avoiding pixel and absolute measures allows the browser to adapt content to fit the display', which is fine for certain devices, however I don’t think this covers pinch and zoom gestures found in a touch screen capable device, as you can also perform this when designed with pixels. The only thing NOT stated is if the viewport has had the  zoom 'Suppressed', which is a definite failure technique on 'Mobile web' in my opinion. Techniques and testing have been covered quite well in the BBC Mobile Guidelines here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/guidelines/futuremedia/accessibility/mobile/design/zoom

I also cross referenced the 'Extended guidelines for Mobile Web Best Practices 1.0' http://www.w3.org/TR/mwbp-guidelines/ and the relationship between MWBP 1.0 and WCAG 2.0 http://www.w3.org/TR/mwbp-wcag/Overview.html this was quite helpful as it had already covered areas relating one to the other. In particular there are guides on whether 'something' had to be done or 'nothing', if already covered by 1.4.4 SC resize text. In this instance if you meet SC 1.4.4 then you have nothing to do. However, like I mentioned earlier I think there are specific clear examples of good and bad practise needed.

Happy to discuss on the call, or feel free to comment if I haven’t covered something off.

Regards,

Gavin Evans | Director of Operations
M: +44 (0)7936 685804 | T: +44 (0)1792 815267
Skype: gavinevans29
Twitter: @GavinAEvans  |  @DACcessibility

Because everyone matters
www.digitalaccessibilitycentre.org

Try our new Accessibility reporting and maintenance tool AccessIn.org

ACTION-18: Look at mwbp re: text resize (Mobile Accessibility Task Force)

http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/mobile-a11y-tf/track/actions/18

On: Gavin Evans
Due: 2014-07-18

If you do not want to be notified on new action items for this group, please update your settings at:
http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/mobile-a11y-tf/track/users/48776#settings