From: Uche Ogbuji [mailto:uche@ogbuji.net]
Sent: Monday, September 10, 2012 6:22 PM
To: public-microxml@w3.org
Subject: Re: 12. Are C1 controls and Unicode non-characters disallowed?

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 3:24 PM, David Lee <David.Lee@marklogic.com<mailto:David.Lee@marklogic.com>> wrote:
How does adding to the list of characters a parser can handle simplify the language ?

But that's not what it's doing.  It's actually reducing the valid characters.

To my reading that makes the spec, and the language more complex (it has higher information count because it takes more rules to define what not to do ...

No actually.  The MicroXML production has the same number of rules.  The proposed change is to make the MicroXML rules consistent with those of Unicode, which is the basis of XML's and MicroXML's.  That means defining fewer exceptions from the Unicode rules in MicroXML, which is simpler.  It's also simpler in practical implementation because it would mean MicroXML becomes consistent with most Unicode tools to be used in association with MicroXML, including those used to write parsers.

--
Uche Ogbuji                       http://uche.ogbuji.net
Founding Partner, Zepheira        http://zepheira.com