Re: 12. Are C1 controls and Unicode non-characters disallowed?

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 1:43 AM, Stephen D Green
<stephengreenubl@gmail.com>wrote:

> Just drawing attention to Tony's "...apart from the MicroXML parsers that
> would then have to check that those characters weren't present..."
>
> Is there any way to avoid putting this onus on parsers, etc? I reckon it
> puts
> a burden too on any code written to take user input data from a web form,
> say, and wrap it into MicroXML. It's a headache if a lowly web developer
> has to worry about such detail (which they probably won't understand
> anyway - such characters are seriously obscure to most ordinary web folk).
> Kind of breaks the whole point of having a MicroXML doesn't it?

Even today a "lowly" Web dev who is not a black belt at security and i18n
had better be reusing someone else's library rather than rolling his own.
 Almost all of them do, anyway in cases of content-editable-type forms,
which is where it's relevant, so I don't see how this is an added burden on
them.  If someone wants to create a rich text entry  widget that supports
MicroXML, they will have to follow the rules, which will be simpler than
they rules they have had to follow for XML support, even with added
character restrictions (I should know, based on my development work in
progress).

Even if it were an added burden on Web devs I have no idea how it breaks
the whole point of having MicroXML.  Certainly it would contradict nothing
in the stated goals.

--
Uche Ogbuji                       http://uche.ogbuji.net
Founding Partner, Zepheira        http://zepheira.com