Re: Design goal regarding HTML5

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 2:16 AM, James Clark <jjc@jclark.com> wrote:

> If the goal is to be able view MicroXML documents that happen to use the
> right element/attribute names "casually in a browser", then does it matter
> that the browser will use quirks mode (if we don't allow DOCTYPE)?

Agreed quirks mode is not the end of the world, except for some oler
browser versions which will soon fade away into obscurity.

> For robust, standards-compliant delivery of HTML5, my current inclination
> is to use an MicroXML->HTML5 serializer that does the right thing with
> empty elements, and adds a DOCTYPE  declaration. We should at least have a
> standard way of representing an HTML5 DOM (at least any HTML5 DOM
> representable in the HTML syntax) in MicroXML, which means we need some
> convention for dealing with xlink:href.
>
> So my current position is:
>
> - no bare DOCTYPE
> - no to the additional HTML5 restriction on XML comments

+1

As for xlink:href, since the user will be in a restricted vocabulary if
they want straightforward serialization to HTML5, the convention for such
could simply be "xlinkhref" without fear of a vocab clash.  We could put
that and the few other conventions for HTML5-convertible MicroXML into a
non-normative annex.

--
Uche Ogbuji                       http://uche.ogbuji.net
Founding Partner, Zepheira        http://zepheira.com