5. Are comments allowed?

On Mon, 2012-09-03 at 21:33 -0400, John Cowan wrote:

> 5.  Are comments allowed?  The consensus so far seems to be yes.
> They assist human authoring, although they are not meant to convey
> the semantics that the element is *always* empty.

I'm slightly confused here. But yes, we should allow comments, and there
should be no requirement to put them in a data model. Editors will
obviously have to treat them differently, but that's life for editing
software.

My position on PIs is that they are essentially comments with special
syntax, rather like %% comments in PostScript. So I have to support
including comments :)

Co-author, 5th edition of "Beginning XML", Wrox, July 2012. It's a book.