Re: Processing instructions

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 6:27 AM, Dave Pawson <dave.pawson@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 26 July 2012 13:22, Liam R E Quin <liam@w3.org> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2012-07-26 at 12:43 +0300, George Cristian Bina wrote:
> >> FWIW we use PIs in oXygen for the following cases:
> >>
> >> top level PIs:
> >> - associate a CSS or XSLT stylesheet with an XML document
> (xml-stylesheet)
> >> - associate a schema with an XML document (xml-model)
> >>
> >> in content PIs:
> >> - store track change information (oXygen specific PIs)
> >> - store annotation information, user comments on a specific part of the
> >> document (oXygen specific PIs)
> >
> > That's a useful data point.

It certainly is.

> > Presumably, however, <!--* oxygen ..... *-->
> > would work as well, no?

Yeah, that's one approach for other such use-cases as well (such as
pagination).  George and others might have other objections to PI/comment
unification, but for me I'm leaning towards seeing comments almost as C
does, as just a noisy form of whitespace.  This usage would imbue them with
much more fundamental significance. I guess PIs are analogous to #pragmas.

Maybe what MicroXML needs is a preprocessor stage <grin & duck>

> And apart from the validation aspect (out of scope or not?)
> so would
> <oxygenxxx>..... </oxygenxxx>

David has given very clear arguments why this option is not really viable.

--
Uche Ogbuji                       http://uche.ogbuji.net
Weblog: http://copia.ogbuji.net