Re: Processing instructions

FWIW we use PIs in oXygen for the following cases:

top level PIs:
- associate a CSS or XSLT stylesheet with an XML document (xml-stylesheet)
- associate a schema with an XML document (xml-model)

in content PIs:
- store track change information (oXygen specific PIs)
- store annotation information, user comments on a specific part of the
document (oXygen specific PIs)

The later are useful when editing the document visually (rendered though
CSS) and are just a serialization format of the change tracking and
annotation information, marking the positions of inserted/deleted
content of of the annotated region. This information can be serialized
also in a top level PI but then it may get easily out of synch if the
document is modified by other applications, while the in content PIs are
more robust.
Using PIs for change tracking and annotations allows implementing a
single solution independent of the actual XML format and does not
require that format to define specific elements for change tracking and
annotation.

Best Regards,
George
--