AW: Why MicroXML ?

--- David Lee <David.Lee@marklogic.com> schrieb am Di, 24.7.2012:
> I suggest that even before debating the What Is ... we should
> discuss and refine the Why .IMHO, the Why is the foundation for
> deciding what to include or exclude in the What Is.

hear hear!

> Why MicroXML ?
> What is the purpose of designing this spec?
> What are the intended use cases?
> What is the intended audience?
> What is the value expected to be added to the world?

> I think we all (having joined the WG) have a concept of this
> but I clear and concise statement would be very valuable as
> a foundation  for deciding the What's ...   The discussion
> is already fragmenting on the What based on what appears
> to me to be different assumptions of Why.

Exactly what hit me when the first batch of mails came. Lots of discusion about the USE of XML for SPECIFIC purpose and eventually backporting this into XML.

I think we agree that the intention here is to simplify XML - right? Plese tell if otherwise.

A good start to get out thoughts more clarified could be an analysis of XML (as of 1.0/6 and 1.1/4). More specific:

What parts of XML
a) are uneccersarry,
b) are unneded,
c) too restrictive, or,
d) should be defined more restrictive (subset)
(feel free to add cathegories missing)

Of course this focus on XML will only work if the goal is to improve XML - if this is about XML-Applications, we might want to make this clear and change the groups topic accordingly.

---

As for myself, I do use (design / implementation / application) XML-applications since the first public drafts (1996 or so?), focused on mainframe ( real ones, /370ish) and 8 Bit systems like controllers and classic style mini-/ microcomputers. I always enjoyed the compactness and easy handling of XML in mixed environments. Later on XSLT became a handy tool on intermediate machines to convert between XML and old style formats. So my view of XML is very basic and impelemntation oriented.

Gruss
H.

--
www.vcfe.org