Re: Names beginning with "xml"

On 20/08/2012 11:04, Andrew Welch wrote:
>>> If xml:id isn't going to infer any automatic ID property and
>>> basically it works in the same way as id (or any other attribute)
>>> then many language designers (and I'm sue most users) would
>>> prefer just to use id= rather than xml:id=.
>>
>> I wouldn't, because I think having a universal affordance is a fine
>> idea here.
>
> I would expect more people to intuitively guess the meaning of id=
> than xml:id=

Also, if I understood correctly the intention was for the parser to
report it with local name xml:id so a naive/default mapping to an XDM
object to allow xslt/xpath processing of the micro-xml file would not
only fail in that id() would not pick up the xml:id attributes, the
attributes would not be accessible via xpath as its data model does not
allow colons in attribute names.

It could have a separate spec specifying how to build an XDM instance in
the presence of xml:* attributes but that is layering spec-upon-spec
which I thought micro-xml was supposed to avoid. But the alternative is
to keep micro-xml self contained but complicate the micro-xml
specification to say what to do.

David