RE: Subset Data Model

> From: Dave Pawson [mailto:dave.pawson@gmail.com
>> From: David Lee
> > But I fear that is not enough.   If MicroXML is creating its own DataModel I
> > suggest the DataModel needs to be equivalently compatible with the XML
> Data
> > Model (XDM).
>
> So where is the advantage of MicroXML David?

I am trying very hard to figure that out.

> I agree a tighter definition of 'a subset of XML' needs defining... I'd like to
> think that doesn't extend to the data model used?

If the data models are not proper subsets then  I suggest that most uses of MicroXML cannot be substituted where XML is used.  The author and consumer must know "This is MicroXML" and parse it with an appropriate parser or else the data model (which most tools are based, as opposed to the syntax)  will be incompatible and the intended meaning of the document different.

However if the toolchains are entirely seperate then seperate data models pose no problem.   Nor do seperate syntaxes.  And the whole constraint of being compatible with XML is unnecessary and likely confusing.

How is my logic faulty ?

David Lee
Lead Engineer
MarkLogic Corporation
dlee@marklogic.com
Phone: +1 650-287-2531
Cell:  +1 812-630-7622
www.marklogic.com

This e-mail and any accompanying attachments are confidential. The information is intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any review, disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of this e-mail communication by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately by returning this message to the sender and delete all copies. Thank you for your cooperation.