Re: Media Fragments - Video fragment temporal loop

On 28 Feb 2014 17:46, "Philip Jägenstedt" <philipj@opera.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 6:54 AM, Silvia Pfeiffer
> <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 4:16 AM, Eric Carlson <eric.carlson@apple.com>
wrote:

> >>   For whatever it is worth, I agree with Philip - consistent and
accurate gapless looping is not possible without low level support from the
media engine.

> > Isn't that true also for looping over full files? So doesn't that mean
> > that the @loop attribute is useless?
>
> As Eric pointed out there is a difference. Without media framework
> support looping a fragment will play beyond the loop point, while the
> looping the entire resource will pause for a random number of
> milliseconds at each loop. (I honestly don't know if the loop
> attribute is useful or not, since I've never seen it used outside of
> test cases and demos.)

Surely it can't be worse than what we are doing with MSE and HLS.

Also surely browsers will be better at keeping the delay between loops down
compared to apps doing it in JS.

> Will you be filing an HTML bug on the fragment end time issue? Would
> it help inform the discussion to have use counters for when fragment
> start and end times are applied in Blink?

If you could also count how many are using JS to imitate looping (given
that FAIK not all browsers support the loop attribute), then we would get
good numbers of use cases.