Re: Getting an implementation report from WebKit

On Jan 26, 2012, at 11:21 AM, Raphaël Troncy <raphael.troncy@eurecom.fr> wrote:

>> I'm not sure of the best approach either. The main reason I exposed it
>> was to allow the controls to access it to show the fragment positions.
>> Our controls are implemented using the standard DOM API. In the end we
>> didn't land the UI side of the fragments so it wasn't used, but it's
>> there for third party control implementations, and for when we add
>> support to the UI.
>
> It is true that we haven't thought about this in the media fragment spec. We only loosely describe in the "Notes to implementors" section that a user agent should display a media fragment in-context, for example by highlighting the fragments in the timeline of the video. I think it is a good idea to expose in the DOM API the end fragment in order to enable more customization of the UI.
>
> What's the best channel to make such a request? File a new bug in the HTML5 bugzilla? Has this already been done?

  First, what exactly would you want to have added to the spec?

  Chris added an attribute ("mozFragmentEnd") that initially returns the fragment end time. Once the current time exceeds the fragment end time, either because of seeking or playback, the attribute returns the file duration. While this matches the behavior of the fragment end time (it is only applied once), but it seems very strange to have the attribute value change in that way.

  It seems especially odd because in both WebKit and Firefox the attribute used to return the fragment start time (the existing HTML5 attribute "initialTime") always returns the same value, although the fragment start time is also only applied once.

eric