Re: Temporal media fragment for HTML media questions

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 9:24 PM, Philip Jägenstedt <philipj@opera.com> wrote:
> How would you change the spec to say what you were intending to implement?
> There's no mechanism for suppressing the seeking events currently, for
> example.

Yes, you raise good points. I think it might be better for me to
change to the way the HTML spec specifies it (I wasn't aware that had
changed to support media fragments - thanks for pointing it out).

> Good point. As another issue, it would be ideal if it behaved exactly as if
> one had used a cue range with the pauseOnExit flag, so that this logic can
> be shared in implementations and so that it's possible to emulate MF using
> cue ranges in browsers that only implement the latter.

Yes, that makes sense.

> I'm quite skeptical of making the behavior stateful like this. If the user
> tries to seek to the beginning of the fragment but ends up right before it
> due to rounding errors, don't you think it would be annoying and confusing
> if the fragment stopped "working" from then on? IMO it would be better to
> always have the fragment present and always pause when reaching the end
> time.

I'm happy to do it the way you suggest. I haven't been a huge user of
media fragments (using existing implementations like YouTube's URL
format) so I have no problem changing what I've done to fit ways
people want to use it.

Chris.
--
http://www.bluishcoder.co.nz