Re: a question about dimensions...

Hi David,

On 21/03/2011 15:55, David Singer wrote:
> Guys
>
> I am not sure that 'named' is really a dimension.
>
> I understand focusing on time; focusing on a spatial area; and focusing on tracks.  These are indeed orthogonal axes.
>
> But you use names to focus on a section, which seems to be a named time-subpart.
>
> Specifically, can I use names for subsetting in any of the dimensions?  If I have a track called 'fred', are these equivalent?
>
> http://www.example.com/thing#track=fred
> http://www.exampke.com/thing#id=fred
>
> Would it not be cleaner to allow selection by name on any of the three axes (i.e. named timed periods, named spacial regions, named tracks)?

To me, 'named' can be seen as a kind of virtual dimension, which points
to a combination of any of the three "real" dimensions (i.e., time,
spatial, or track). The mapping between a named fragment and a
combination of time, spatial, or track is left to the application.

So for example: #id=fred_low could correspond to
#t=10,20&track=low&xywh=20,20,30,30. It is of course not required to
combine all dimensions: #t=30,40 could for example correspond to
#id=blooper. Similarly, #track=fred could correspond to #id=fred if this
is defined within the application; but as I said, the mapping is out of
scope of the MF spec.

Best regards,

Davy

--
Davy Van Deursen

Ghent University - IBBT
Department of Electronics and Information Systems - Multimedia Lab