Re: Do we need to support media that doesn't start at 0?

On 13/04/2011 12:03, Philip Jägenstedt wrote:
>  From todays teleconf.
>
> The question comes up in some test cases in
> <http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/Fragments/TC/ua-test-cases.html>.
>
> It it my experience that media not starting at time 0 is extremely rare,
> I've really only seen it in poorly remuxed MPEG-2 transport streams and
> similar.
It is possible to create them (e.g., by making use of editlists in MP4),
but very few players support such media resources ...

> I would say that *if* a user agent supports media that doesn't
> start at 0, then we should clamp the request start to the start time
> when necessary.
Agreed.

> I don't think that we should make the start/end relative
> to the media start position, as that would be inconsistent.
Agreed.

Best regards,

Davy

--
Davy Van Deursen

Ghent University - IBBT
Department of Electronics and Information Systems - Multimedia Lab