Re: Precision of #xywh=percent:...

On Apr 7, 2011, at 1:06 , Philip Jägenstedt wrote:

> On Thu, 07 Apr 2011 09:38:41 +0200, Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> I actually think that because things can go full-screen now, the
>> non-percent version is almost useless and an author would almost
>> always want to use percent, just to make sure that whatever display
>> size the user chooses, it will still display the same thing.
>
> The pixel syntax operates on the intrinsic size of the video, not the display size. The result would be the same regardless of fullscreen, modulo scale of course.

agreed.

If you want to be both precise and apply to multiple resolutions of the video, you probably need a fractional syntax, i.e. where you say "if the picture were WxH, then I would want the rect T,L,w,h", and you express this for the largest possible WxH; the UA then scales everything to the actual width/height of the selected resource, and panics if the proportions are wrong.

Which is probably overkill syntax.  (But it's what I have seen done in other places).

David Singer