Re: Expressing complex regions with media fragments - use cases + possible solution

Dear Raphael,

On Sep 8, 2010, at 6:10 PM, Raphaël Troncy wrote:

> Dear Bernhard,
>
> Thanks for having sent your use cases and starting up this thread as I
> have encouraged you last week.
>
> It seems to me that your use cases are pretty similar to the ones described in our Use Cases document, in particular at http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/Fragments/WD-media-fragments-reqs/#uc4
> Would you agree with this?
> This shows at least that your questions are really relevant.

Yes. I just tried to make the issue of complex regions explicit.

> I do have one question regarding your second use case:
>
>> - Scenario 2: Spatial and Temporal Annotation of Videos with complex
>> region-shapes
>>
>> Bernhard selects a video sequence (start-&  end-point) in an online
>> video and creates a new annotation for that sequence. He draws an
>> ellipse around a specific region in a frame in order to identify the
>> spatial dimension of his annotation. Then he writes a note for this
>> region. The system exposes his annotation as an RDF document, where
>> the annotated map region is identified by a media fragment URI.
>
> In this use case, would you need to address a fixed spatial region over a period of time? Or would you need to address a moving region?

Addressing a moving spatial region in a video is quite complex because it requires the annotation client to track moving objects in a video. We are not going to implement this. For us it would be fine to be able to address a fixed spatial region; so it would be the same technical solution as for still image annotation...

> More comments to follow ...
> Best regards.
>
>  Raphaël
>
> --
> Raphaël Troncy
> EURECOM, Multimedia Communications Department
> 2229, route des Crêtes, 06560 Sophia Antipolis, France.
> e-mail: raphael.troncy@eurecom.fr & raphael.troncy@gmail.com
> Tel: +33 (0)4 - 9300 8242
> Fax: +33 (0)4 - 9000 8200
> Web: http://www.eurecom.fr/~troncy/

Research Group Multimedia Information Systems
Department of Distributed and Multimedia Systems
Faculty of Computer Science
University of Vienna

Postal Address: Liebiggasse 4/3-4, 1010 Vienna, Austria
Phone: +43 1 42 77 39635 Fax: +43 1 4277 39649
E-Mail: bernhard.haslhofer@univie.ac.at
WWW: http://www.cs.univie.ac.at/bernhard.haslhofer