Re: Expressing complex regions with media fragments - use cases + possible solution

On Sep 8, 2010, at 2:51 AM, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:

> More personal opinion here. :-)
>
> I agree with Jack that you should experiment with this using your own approach, since without use cases and experience the browsers will not implement any of this.
>
> I have, however, a pretty big caveat with standardising this approach: right now we are discussing with the browser vendors on how to present spatial media fragment URIs. There is a preference to use them for splicing pictures, i.e. for rendering only the referenced image or video region.
>
> I do not believe that matches your intentions here. IIUC your intentions here are to only have a means to provide annotations to regions. I think this is more of a "image map" type approach than an "image splicing" approach - correct me if I'm wrong.

We need MFs to have a standard means to *address* annotated media fragments on the Web using URIs. So it is really about addressing and not so much about retrieving subparts of resources. Annotation clients will follow the reference in the URI fragment for instructions on how to render the annotated regions; e.g., with SVG overlays. Splicing complex spatial regions (e.g., polygons) out of media objects doesn't make much sense, I guess.

> In this context, I have a very direct question: what do you expect the user will see differently for your Web page when they browse to content which has such annotations?
> Will they see hyperlinks on different areas? Will they see overlays? What would be the consequence of this? The problem is: as long as there is no visual consequence of having such annotations available, there isn't really anything that the browser vendors can implement and they will just leave it all to javascript technologies.

The feature we are requesting is really for annotation clients, most of them running in browsers (as Web-apps or browser extensions). These clients will render the visual overlays. But it would be great if these annotations clients use the same mechanism for addressing fragments as the browsers do. Therefore my request for some extension mechanism (or at least recommendation). Otherwise each annotation client will implement its own fragment identification hack....

best,
bernhard

> Cheers,
> Silvia.

Research Group Multimedia Information Systems
Department of Distributed and Multimedia Systems
Faculty of Computer Science
University of Vienna

Postal Address: Liebiggasse 4/3-4, 1010 Vienna, Austria
Phone: +43 1 42 77 39635 Fax: +43 1 4277 39649
E-Mail: bernhard.haslhofer@univie.ac.at
WWW: http://www.cs.univie.ac.at/bernhard.haslhofer