Re: Notify user agent available fragment

On May 3, 2010, at 6:00 AM, Raphaël Troncy wrote:

>> How do you see the user-agent being notified in advance of the
>> fragmentation possibilities of a certain resource?
>
> As Jack said, this is the problem of discovery, and as Davy rightly pointed out, if you are concerned of how a UA can know in advance which tracks (if any) are available in a media resource, then there are at least two ways:
>  - use the Media Multitrack Javascript API developed by the accessibility task force of the HTML5 WG, http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Media_MultitrackAPI

  I don't think this will work as the UA will not be able to answer a priori questions about the composition of a media resource. The multitrack API will only work once the media element's readyState reaches HAVE_METADATA, which requires the UA to have loaded enough of the resource to know its duration, dimensions, etc. [1].

eric

[1] http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/video.html#dom-media-have_metadata