Re: Feedback from FOMS

On Wed, 27 Jan 2010 10:23:34 +0100, Raphaël Troncy <raphael.troncy@cwi.nl>
wrote:

> Hi Philip,
>
>> Here's the behavior I intend for Opera eventually:
>>
>> #t=a,b loads the whole resource (conceptually, not network-wise), but
>> sets the initial position to a and possibly highlights the range [a,b]
>> in the UI in some special way. Typically, playback stops at b and if
>> looping it restarts at a (seamlessly in a good enough implementation).
>> If the user ever seeks outside of the range, the range no longer
>> applies, it's possible to play from before it to after it without it
>> stopping at b. When looping, seeking outside the range either causes
>> looping to be ignored or looping always seeks back to a and restarts at
>> b, this is a minor detail.
>
> And what about the URL bar? Do you reset it?

I think it's analogous to visiting page.html#section and scrolling away.
So no, I don't think changing the history URLs is what we would do
(pipeline playback state can be remembered in better ways that as a string
serialization.)

The exact details are a bit unclear, but I suggest picking the simplest
solution and solving the rest with JavaScript (or extra UI in non-browser
clients).

--
Philip Jägenstedt
Core Developer