Re: dropping 's' and quoting of strings

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 04:36:03 +0800, Jack Jansen <Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl> wrote:

> On 22 feb 2010, at 05:10, Philip Jägenstedt wrote:
>
>> There are two changes I would like to make, previously mentioned deep
>> in some thread:
>>
>> 1. Drop the trailing s from the npt syntax, which seems not to serve
>> any real purpose as it only adds (a little) complexity but doesn't help
>> disambiguate from any other form. It also isn't what is used in RTSP,
>> if we want to align.
>>
>> 2. Drop the 'quotes' around strings, which are completely unnecessary
>> when spaces have to be percent-encoded anyway. Simply following the
>> rules for splitting name-value pairs yields a string with any special
>> characters decoded.
>

> Would this work if I had, say, an ampersand (or any other special
> character) in my track name?
>
> I think it may work: IIRC the quotes were added before we referenced
> rfc3986 for the string parameters, and I think the "unreserved"
> character set is restricted enough.
>
> But: someone with a strong ABNF background needs to check. We want to
> make sure that "http://www.example.com/id=my%26name&t=5" actually splits
> on & before turning the %26 into an ampersand.

The splitting is defined our own spec, in
http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/Fragments/WD-media-fragments-spec/#processing-name-value-components

In short it first splits the fragment component by &, then by = and only
after that performs percent decoding and UTF-8 decoding. So string can
contain any code points that can be expressed as UTF-8, including spaces
and any reserved characters in the URI spec.

--
Philip Jägenstedt
Core Developer