RE: Track fragments

On feb 17, 2010 at 15:14, Raphaël Troncy wrote:
> Cc: 'Silvia Pfeiffer'; 'DENOUAL Franck'; public-media-fragment@w3.org
> Subject: Re: Track fragments
>
> >> Why do you use 'tracks' instead of 'track'?
> >> What prevent you to use: #track='track1'&track='track2'?
> >
> > Because that might not be compliant to our grammar :-)?
>
> Well, we don't consider 'tracks' with an 's' either in the grammar :-)
>
> We have discussed in today's telecon that we would not like to allow
> something like: <uri>#t=30,90&t=10,15. More generally, we don't want
> that the time or the space dimension is specified more than once in
> the fragment because we don't want to bother trying to understand what
> does it mean. The question remains for the track dimension, since it
> is reasonable to restrict a media file to a number of tracks.
>
> I see (at least) two points to resolve:
>    - What are the changes we need to make (if any) in the grammar to
> allow a selection of multiple tracks in a fragment? Silvia has proposed:
> #track="audio(audesc,en);video(main,en);text(cc,en);text(sub,fr)" ...
> a semi-colon separator
>    - What is the semantics of the fragment when one or multiple tracks
> is specified in a fragment? Does it mean *only* the tracks selected
> explicitly in the fragment? In other words:
> #track="audio(audesc,en);text(sub,fr);" will not contain video but
> just an audio and subtitle tracks?

Just a small detail regarding the grammar proposal: I would write each track
name between single quotes: #track='audio(audesc,en)';'video(main,en)' ...

Regarding your second point, my feeling is that only the tracks specified in
a fragment should be selected. Otherwise, it is not clear to me which tracks
should be send 'implicitly' to the UA.

> > The only reason was
> > that I wanted to keep the identifiers currently specified by the
> group
> > as they were. That can be easily changed of course, it's just a
> matter
> > of syntax sugar I guess. As a side note, similar to 'tracks', we
> > also have the 'ts' identifier which can be used to identify more
> > than one time range (e.g., #ts=0,10;20,30) but I think multiple time
> > ranges is less relevant for us right now.
>
> And what does it mean? Is it an union? An intersect? An incluion (out
> of range in this case)?

It is a union of the specified time fragments. So the example ?ts=0,10;20,30
(note the change of # to ?, because this only works through query
identifiers) will result in a resource with a duration of approximately 20
seconds.

Best regards,

Davy

--
Davy Van Deursen

Ghent University - IBBT
Department of Electronics and Information Systems - Multimedia Lab