Re: great news from YouTube on frag addressing

On  21-Sep-2009, at 05:30 , Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:

> Hi Jack,
>
> So, I tried this and you need a really long video to trigger it. I did
> it on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_UyVmITiYQ the Google Wave demo.
> Browsed to a different video and came back. Then checked the cookies
> (which I suspected how they would do it in the current given browser
> capabilities). Here it is:
>
> Cookie: FcZDK.resume
> Value: v_UyVmITiYQ:2553
>
> I believe the 2553 is the time offset that I stopped at in seconds:
> 42:33 .
>
> However, I don't think we need to have to worry about this, since it's
> not done with URLs.

Hmm. This behaviour is exactly why I think we *do* need to worry about
it.

We (well, I, at least) have always assumed that the unadorned URL
would be interpreted as "the whole resource". Now it seems there's at
least one important implementation that does not always interpret it
this way: its interpretation depends on some cookie. I'm not sure
about how to call this interpretation, but I think I'd settle for
something like "what the server thinks is convenient for the user".

Assuming the URL-police thinks this is acceptable behaviour (or,
alternatively, if youtube is powerful enough to override the URL-
police) it would be good if the MFWG catered for this possibility, by
defining a media fragment syntax that tells the server to return "the
whole resource, and please refrain from any processing you might
consider convenient, thank you". Maybe an explicitly empty time range
("t=") or something like that.
Goldman