Re: Multiple Range headers in an HTTP request

On Thu, 10 Sep 2009, Raphaël Troncy wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> We knew that the latest blog post from Silvia is brilliant :-)
> http://blog.gingertech.net/2009/09/08/uri-fragments-vs-uri-queries-for-media-fragment-addressing/
>
> It has triggered some interesting discussions too (read the comments). One of
> them is the reason for my question. Philip Jägenstedt wrote
> "I also would be surprised if there wasn?t a lot of server software that
> assumes that there will be at most 1 Range HTTP header and misbehaves
> otherwise."
>
> A question for you Yves:
>  - is it allowed to have multiple Range headers in a single HTTP request?
Sure.
>  - how the server is supposed to interpret it if this is the case?
>    a) Ignore the Range request and serve the whole content
>    b) Pick the first Range and serves it
>    c) Pick a random Range among the ones specified and serves it
>    d) Undefined :-(
None of those, the server will either serve the whole content if it
doesn't support multi-ranges, or send the multiple ranges using a mime
multipart wrapper (multipart-byteranges, even if not restricted to bytes).
Note that in that case there is no Content-Range in the response, as you
will get mutiple Content-Ranges in the multipart-byterage.
See httpbis [1][2].

[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-p5-range-07#section-3.1
[2] http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-httpbis-p5-range-07#appendix-A

> Cheers.