Re: open annotation / media fragments

On 13 okt 2009, at 10:29, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
> It seems Herbert is reading this thread - he should just get involved
> here directly! :-)

Seconded...

> It seems I did understand some of what Herbert is asking about.
> However, the biggest problem with an indirection is the resolution.
> Such an approach would require the specification of the format of the
> resource being redirected to. Doing something like this generically
> across all application possibilities is IMHO impossible. It could be
> restricted to a SVG file - at least then it would be specific.
>
> In any case - such an approach lies outside the scope of our working
> group and will really require a whole new cycle to go through:
> requirements document & specification of not only the fragment
> addressing scheme, but also the format of the file that identifies the
> fragment. Definitely outside what we can do here.

Agreed.

There's another issue in the indirection that scares me and that's the
fact that having a URL contain another URL (speaking colloquially
here, you know what I mean:-) potentially opens up a whole can of
worms similar to cross-site scripting in HTML documents. Applications
that are unaware of the indirection could inadvertently allow access
to content across firewalls, etc.
Goldman