Re: open annotation / media fragments

On 11 okt 2009, at 13:36, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:

>> I wonder whether this class of problems fits in the scope of the
>> Media
>> Fragment work, and if so, whether it is something that you would be
>> willing
>> to further discuss and maybe even take on board. It goes without
>> saying that
>> we would be very happy to provide help if that were deemed
>> appropriate
>> and/or welcome.
>
> Honestly: I didn't quite understand what technology he wants to
> integrate. Is it reference files that can point to arbitrary segments?
> Is it non-square regions? Is it slices/views of scientific datasets,
> or regions in a 3D resource? I think all of these require different
> solutions. I cannot really see that they are part of the same "class
> of problems" and solvable with the same approach. Or does anyone see a
> way?

I _think_ what he wants is a unified scheme (from a user point of
view) to specify fragments.

And, actually, I had already started drafting a reply that I think
this could be worthwhile with some ideas on how to implement this,
when I realised that it's indeed completely out of scope for MFWG.

While we could define some sort of an extension scheme to our
fragments this doesn't really buy anyone anything. There's no use
sending these to servers, so we could only talk about the URL schemes
anyway, and in the URL scheme space it's really only the four name/
value pairs we've defined that we care about.

I think the OP should go about it the other way around: define his own
Open Annotation Fragment Identifier, and in there state that any MFWG
fragment is automatically an OAFI fragment identifier. He would then
only have to define the meaning of his own name/value pairs and the
interaction between those and ours.
Goldman