Re: Description of the 2-ways and the 4-ways handshake

At 3:55  -0400 6/05/09, Yves Lafon wrote:
>>I think, rather
>>? -- it is the server's syntax and task to do the selection
>
>In fact if "?" is needed, our fragment syntax is
>just a hint, people owning their URIs can define
>whatever naming scheme they want, the main issue
>is finding the association between
>identification of useful ranges someone awnts to
>retrieve and URIs

There is a very big difference between ? and #.
"?" is an instruction to the server;  a database
query, for example.  It is part of the definition
of the resource.  # is an instruction to the
user-agent, a focusing instruction.

>># -- it is the MIME type's syntax and UA's task
>>to do the selection, possibly assisted by an
>>enhanced protocol with the server
>>
>>That is, if the UA is asked to focus the user's
>>attention on a certain portion of the resource,
>>it should do the best it can
>>a) to do said focusing
>>b) to use the network and server wisely
>>
>>If the protocol is HTTP-1.1-enhanced, then
>>there may be new commands or headers it can
>>use.  In the lack of that (e.g. HTTP 1.1 or
>>even 1.0) it does the best it can.
>
>HTTP-1.1-enhanced ?
>Adding a range unit is in the same class of
>adding a new content-type, that doesn't really
>qualify as "enhancing" HTTP :)

Sorry, I just used the name as a short-hand.
However, I think that a server that can
co-operate with a UA over selecting time or or
sub-parts of a temporal resource, is enhanced.
And you need to know if the server you're talking
to is enhanced in this way, as well.

>>>   - In the case of the '?': the normal
>>>behavior, it is a new resource that will be
>>>completely served with a 200 OK response code.
>>>The only extra specification we may add is a
>>>link header to point towards the original
>>>resource the segment comes from ...

if it even exists.  Don't forget, the ? may be
processing instructions:  "make me a synthetic
background 20 seconds long that looks vaguely
like swirling water".