Re: ISSUE-2: What is the mime type of a media fragment? What is its relation with its parent resource?

Raphael,

> All opinions are more than welcome ...

Oh I'm happy to learn that.

> First, that is not possible, as we have already discussed it, since for
> updating IANA registries, you need to 'own' the format, which obviously
> we don't. It seems to me insane to try to register the fragment
> semantics for the 100+ multimedia formats, without counting all new ones
> appearing every year ...

Not a matter of being sane or not. A matter of being in-line with the
overall paper-trail or not. If you don't like the rules, try to change them.
I didn't say that this the only option we have in principle, but the only
clean solution I see in the current context. Please, could we find a
language that doesn't rely on strong words in order to discuss technical,
objective things.

> Second, it is from my point of view not necessary. XPointer lives
> without for a period of time without problem.

Point taken. First, it's your POV. There may be others as well. Second, as
you perfectly point out XPointer - are we aiming at a comparable high impact
and adoption or do we want to produce stuff people would use?

> I cannot find a registry for the SVG fragment? Is someone aware of that?

I am.

> Third, that was not really the question asked in the ISSUE, although, I
> agree it is not completely clear.

Then, please, phrase the questions so that they are unambiguous. Still I see
an issue here and you may want to choose to create a new one for 'my' issue.

Cheers,
      Michael

--
Dr. Michael Hausenblas
National University of Ireland, Lower Dangan,