Re: Review of 'Use Cases and Requirements for Ontology and API for Media Object 1.0', Working Draft 19 January 2009

Hello!
> Felix Sasaki wrote :
>
>> b) with several abtraction layers we face the challenge of loosing
>> simplicity for people who want to implement simple applications (...)
>>

> It seems to me that a mean of hiding this complexity for people not
> interested in it would be that every *specific* object (e.g. frbr:Item
> or bbc:Broadcast) inherits, in the API, the properties of the more
> abstracts elements (resp. frbr:Manifestation, bbc:Episode).
>
> So I can ask for the ISBN of an book Item (though this is strictly
> speaking a property of the Manifestation), or to which Series a
> Broadcast belongs (though this is actually the Episode that belongs to a
> Series).
>
> Yves, does that make sense? Do the implementation you are aware of
> provide this kind of inheriance/proxy mechanism?

Hmm. I never saw that done anywhere. I think one of the reason may be
that the relationships between different abstraction layers can be
something else than a strict hierarchy. For example, a Manifestation (a
recording) can come from several Expressions (several performances),
etc. So such an inheritance rule is actually quite hard to define.

Also, it tends to be quite unclean. Properties of a performance (date,
place, performers, instruments, etc.) are not properties of an mp3 file.

I think it is highly desirable to have a schema as normalised as
possible in your backend, and maybe collapse it in the UI side if it
does bring benefit to the end-user.

Best,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/