Re: Action-28: updated syntax document with time formats

2009/2/5 Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>:
> On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 10:28 AM, Conrad Parker <conrad@metadecks.org> wrote:
>>
>> 2009/2/4 Jack Jansen <Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl>:
>>
>> Further, the meanings of specific frame separator characters (: . ; ,)
>> are more complex:
>> http://archives.bengrosser.com/avid/2001-09/msg01432.htm, and using a
>> single colon might seem to imply one of those meanings.
>
> Ah, they are using different characters to differentiate between
> different time specifications. I'm not sure I like that idea.

it's how it is in Avid CMX EDL, and if people are going to use URLs
with time ranges to denote source media in web video editors (as
metavid is already doing) then there may be an expectation that the
syntax supports split field timecodes.

We don't have that as a requirement, but we may in future. Hence
perhaps it is a bad idea to use a single colon ':' now as the frame
separator.

Conrad.