Re: SMIL section of state-of-the-art document done

Hi Jack, all,

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 11:31 PM, Jack Jansen <Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl> wrote:
> On 27 okt 2008, at 12:11, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
>
>> Wow, that's totally awesome. I am inspired to write the CMML/Annodex
>> section. :)
>
> You know, that would be totally awesome too:-)

OK, done. I took the same headings that you used for SMIL and
described how we do it with Ogg. We have a lot more different
components to the technology (CMML, Ogg skeleton, temporal URIs, ROE),
but I hope I haven't confused anybody.

BTW: Davy - I'd be curious if your meta-specification format of the
structure of audio & video could be mapped into ROE somehow...

>> BTW: I like the quadruple way of specifying a spatial fragment (area)
>> in SMIL: x-offset, y-offset, width, height. We should consider using
>> that for spatial media fragment URIs.
>
> There's a problem with 4-tuples for rectangles (that I've already touched
> upon in the piece of text) and that is that sometimes it's intended to be
> x,y,w,h and sometimes it's l,t,r,b (or x1,y1,x2,y2 which is usually the
> same).
>
> In SYMM this bothered us to no end, because we wanted to be compatible with
> the spec from which we lifted the feature, but this meant we couldn't be
> internally consistent anymore:-( The SMIL native method is to spell things
> out: region boundaries can be specified with attributes
> top,left,right,bottom,widht,height, with all values defaulting to "auto". So
> as long as you don't overspecify any dimension you're fine.
>
> In hindsight, I think it might have been better not to use any four-tuples
> but in stead spell things out (so, in stead of panZoom="25%,25%,50%,50%" use
> clipLeft="25%" clipTop="25%" clipWidth="50%" clipHeight="50%").
>
> Also note that <area> *must* use ltrb-style to be consistent: if the shape
> is a polygon you must specify x0,y0,x1,y1,x2,y2, ... anyway, so if you don't
> do a point pair for a rectangle (but in stead a point, size pair) things
> become messy.

I see where you're coming from. I'd still prefer having just one
parameter and however many values we need after that to keep it
compact in a URI. But that's just me and up for discussion. :-)