Re: [mediacapture-depth] CfC to use the new publication process, deadline Dec 17th

Hi All,

> On 10 Dec 2015, at 14:42, Stefan Håkansson LK <stefan.lk.hakansson@ericsson.com> wrote:
>
> we have in the past discussed moving our publication process for TRs to
> the "Future Publication workflow" [1] using the Echidna tool [2]. This
> new workflow is used by many specs in other groups and has solved the
> problem of stale TR space. In essence, it automates the publication of
> Editor's Drafts to TR space using Echidna.
>
> The Mediacapture-Depth editors have volunteered to pilot making this
> transition.

The mediacapture-depth spec is now using Echidna for Working Draft publications.

We set up Echidna and Travis CI as such that the gh-pages branch hosts the Editor's Draft and TR branch hosts the Working Draft. Pushing to the TR branch triggers a new WD publication. This setup allows us to keep possibly unstable content in ED while easily publish a new WD snapshot when we have a release.

The steps to publish a new Working Draft with this setup are the following:

- Ensure the local fork of the Git repository is up-to-date
- Switch to the TR branch and merge the gh-pages into it
- Push the TR branch to the repository on GitHub
- Travis CI should detect the push and send the right publication request to Echidna
- Check the result of the publication on the public-tr-notifications@w3.org archives

In short, to publish a new version:

git checkout TR
git merge gh-pages
git push w3c TR

I'm happy to help editors of the other specs who might wish to make use of Echidna. There's also pretty good documentation in the wiki [4] you may want to consult first.

> Therefore we issue this CfC to take the future publication workflow at
> W3C [2] in use for the Media Capture Depth Stream Extensions spec (aka
> mediacapture-depth) [3].
>
> If you have comments or concerns about this CfC, please send them to
> this mailing list by Dec 17th at the latest. Silence will be considered
> as agreement with the proposal.

Thanks,

-Anssi

[4] https://github.com/w3c/echidna/wiki