Image: Use the constrainable pattern instead of creating a subtly different function set

It may have gotten lost in the flurry of issues raised yesterday, but
this one is where I think the WG needs to have input.

The question has Giri and me on opposite sides of the issue; we need
more people to chime in.

I've been assured that both approaches are implementable.

Harald